Sunday, February 27, 2005

The Monty Hall problem, etc

I just came across this problem again in my web surfing - this is one of the many links that Google gives that provides an explanation of the problem and the counter-intuitive solution. I must admit it is making my head hurt a little bit.

So, now I should go back to somehow trying to algebraically solve these two questions from my latest tutorial exercise:

1. 2*tan x + cos x = 3 for x between 0 and 360 degrees

2. (sin x)^2 + tan x = (cos x)^2

I've solved them using graphing software, but we're supposed to be able to solve them algebraically, and I just keep getting in a huge tangle and ending up with cubics or quartics which don't give me the right solutions. Either I'm doing something dumb, missing something easy, or there's a misprint in the questions - unfortunately my tutor isn't available till Tuesday, so meantime I keep going back to them and trying again. Hints always welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home