Wednesday, January 26, 2005

New Year’s resolution?

OK, so it is already most of the way through January and probably too late to be thinking about making New Year’s resolutions, but I’ve been pondering the relentless “busy-ness” of my life lately, and maybe with the season of Lent just around the corner it is not such a bad time to look at what I am doing with the limited time and energy that I have. I strongly believe that the way I spend my time reflects my real priorities in life – for example, if I say that my parents are an important part of my life and then don’t spend any time with them, to me that says they aren’t really important to me – my actions speak much louder (and more truthfully) than my words – didn’t someone once say “don’t tell me you love me, show me” or something like that.

Sadly the way I’m spending my time at the moment says that aimless Internet surfing and watching sport and dramas on TV are the most important things in my life. Now some of that is merely a way of making sure I get the rest I need so my body doesn’t give up on me – any exertion, physical or mental, has an impact on the chronic fatigue / fibromyalgia – but some of it is probably not a good use of my time.

I read on someone’s blog the other day – and no, I don’t remember which one at the moment – that if you can read 50 books a year and have, say, 30 years left to live, that’s 1500 books that you can read. I’ve never thought of it like that before – I’ve often said “so many books, so little time”, but never really come to the stark realisation that there is a finite amount of time left in life and therefore a finite number of books that can be read – not to mention a finite number of TV programs that can be watched, Internet sites that can be surfed, etc, etc. So, I should spend a significant portion of that finite time doing those things that are important to me.

So my “resolution” is to gradually change the way I am using my time to more accurately reflect what is important to me – to spend my time a little more thoughtfully each day, to question what I am doing and to reassess what is important. I see this as a gradual process not as a task that I will ever really complete – there will be times when I fall back into habits developed over many years, but as long as there are also times when I make a little progress, that is OK. And maybe having this blog post to remind me will help me make that progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home