Sunday, November 13, 2005

The Twin Towers

The story was told in church this morning of how the Twin Towers used to be the first sign that ships' captains saw as they approached New York. They provided direction which was comforting (though scarcely necessary in these days of plentiful navigational instruments and charts). Now, the towers are no more and that man-built source of security is forever gone.

Maybe I’m stretching the analogy a bit but somehow that seems a picture of my life and it provides me with a hard-to-learn lesson. Very few things in this world can provide a true sense of security, certainly not those things that are man-made. Wealth, possessions, family, friends, health, etc, etc – all can be gone in the blink of an eye (just ask Job of Biblical fame). The only things that can’t be taken away are those things I carry inside me that endure regardless of circumstances.

So, I wrestle with the Christian message of a God who is love, yet whose presence I rarely feel – and I struggle somehow to connect with the sense of hope that would allow me to say with Job “though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him” (Job 13:15, KJV). All the time knowing that the answer is simply to “cease striving and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10a, NASB).

1 Comments:

Blogger J. D. Bartlett said...

I must say, you have me intrigued. I found a link to your blog from a comment you left on Joel's blog at http://www.illuminatingscience.org/index.php?p=139 and I'm trying to decide if I should know you.

My name's Josh - I'm another UQ physics type person, and I'm not sure if I've ever met you or not. Although based on the date of your last post, I don't imagine that you regularly check messages on this blog, so I don't imagine I have great chances of ever finding out unless I meet you in person.

5:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home