Saturday, January 06, 2007

Another New Year

So, it’s been over a year since I posted anything on this blog and much to my amazement, I got an email the other day from someone enquiring whether I was going to post any more. The answer is a definite “maybe” ;).

A lot has happened since my last post – I’ve moved house and sort of settled in (I still have stuff in boxes which need unpacking, but that’s the story of my life). I’ve also gone from being a somewhat resigned single person to being a very happy partnered person :). My health has deteriorated somewhat, but my dad is still plodding on, much to his doctors’ surprise. He has been on weekly treatment in the “big smoke” for the last year, which means mum, dad and I all share the driving there and back each Friday – very tiring for all of us and I’m hoping to be able to get the odd week off now that they’ve found a local community group which can provide a driver sometimes.

Unfortunately, one of the casualties of these changes has been any sort of formal studies. My enrolment in Physics lapsed in the first half of last year and for the first time in my life, I actually have a piece of paper with a Fail grade against my name, due to the fact that I didn’t complete it :(.

However, as the year 12 students were finishing high school last year and applying for university studies, my “itch” to study resurfaced and I started investigating what was available at the local university – I’m now just a 30 minute highway drive from a regional university. To my surprise, they have a Tertiary Preparation Program which is available free of charge to potential students. So, I’ve applied for and been offered a position in their Bioscience unit – it’s a mix of chemistry and cell biology which provides the background needed for their undergraduate courses in chemistry and cell biology (surprise, surprise!!). It requires attendance at a 3 hour weekly workshop for the semester, so it should be a good test of whether I can actual study by attending a university or not. I’m hopeful that I will be able to, but not at all confident given how much I’ve been struggling health-wise recently – we shall see.

One of the other changes that has happened, partly as a consequence of moving further away and partly for other reasons, is that I have stopped attending the church I had been a part of for some years. In recent weeks, my partner and I have been investigating Quakerism and tomorrow will attend our second meeting – also a 30 minute or so highway drive away. The older I get, the less I’m liking any sort of formal religion or strict “set of beliefs” and the more questions about what I believe I have. For a few years now, I’ve been comfortably living with very few answers, so the Quaker line of “come visit us, we have questions for all your answers” is very appealing.

So, will I post again before next year – well, I’m planning to – I’m hoping to keep a record of the books I read this year and also to try and document my studies once they start – and, as before, to write about interesting things I discover as I journey through life – no promises, though …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home